Over the course of the semester we made several dresses, but I would have to say the funnest (yes, in my world that's a word!) thing we did was part of our final. We were given a Project Runway style challenge and had one class in which to complete the assignment. We had to make a garment using non-conventional materials, no fabric. So, I went to a party store and bought a bunch of paper doilies. Once I had those I knew I had to make a party dress!
I made a basic a-line skirt out of muslin and sewed the doiles on in tiered layers. The bodice is just a basic strapless top with a band at the top. The band and belt are both made using party streamers. I am really happy with how it came out, and I would totally wear it if it wasn't paper!
The second part of our final was just to finish our last drape in fashion fabric. I chose a large scale black and white gingham and lined it with a raspberry pink. I really like the way it came out, except that I didnt really take the time to match my plaids (grrr!) and it really detracts from the overall look. BUT it fits my dressform like a glove!!!! And since that's really all that matters...I'm gonna let the fact that my plaids don't match go!
I had a ton of this fabric left over, so I made myself a skirt, which I'll share tomorrow!